Tomasz Deren (Program Director)
Tomasz will be overseeing all KVC programs at Stone City Strength & Wellness for the 2018-2019 season. He will be working with all teams through both the strength coaches and in-gym sessions.
Tomasz Deren is a sought after strength and conditioning coach and exercise physiologist who over the past 10 years has helped countless athletes and tactical professionals, achieve their highest level of performance. Tomasz is the co-founder and president of Stone City Strength & Wellness Ltd. while also currently holding the position of Strength and Conditioning Coordinator at the Royal Military College of Canada.
Before his move to Kingston, Tomasz held several rewarding positions that shaped his coaching methodologies to what they are today. These positions include:
- Head strength and conditioning coach for the Gee-Gee’s Varsity Women’s Volleyball Program
- Head strength and conditioning coach at Ottawa’s Gridiron Academy (CIS, NCAA)
- Strength and conditioning coach at the Ottawa Sports Performance Center (Jr. A, OHL, NHL)
- Physical Exercise Specialist for the Department of National Defense
- Co-Founder of Combat Training Systems a Special Forces preparation program for military men and women around the world.
- Lecturer in the Human Kinetics Department at the University of Ottawa
Tomasz holds a Bachelor’s degree in Human Kinetics and a Master’s degree in Exercise Physiology (Thermoregulation), which was funded by the NFL (National Football League) from 2009 to 2011. His work is currently published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, European Journal of Applied Physiology and the American Journal of Physiology while also being presented at international conferences including the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting (2011 & 2012).
- Sc (Exercise Physiology – funded by the NFL)
- Sc (Human Kinetics)
- CSEP – Certified Exercise Physiologist
- NCCP – Level 1 General Sport
- FMS – Functional Movement Screen
- Top Shape – Adaptive Fitness Professional
- Commando Krav Maga – Level 3 Unarmed Combat Instructor
Graham McPherson (Strength Coach)
Graham has been working in the fitness industry since 2010 as a strength coach and personal trainer.
After retiring from the Canadian Armed Forces, 3rd Infantry Battalion in 2016 he began working for the VON where he instructs fitness classes for the aging population.
Graham has had a passion for strength training and movement from a young age. As a student of the sport he has participated in Olympic weightlifting seminars and workshops.
Graham's goal is to help people become stronger, move better and perform their best.
- Crossfit Level 1
- Crossfit Level 2
- Crossfit Kettlebell
- NCCP Olympic weightlifting Coach
Graham will be coaching teams on the following days: Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
Jon Blacklock (Strength Coach)
Jon Blacklock is a strength and conditioning coach with a passion for health and athletic performance.
Starting his path, he completed the Fitness and Health Promotion program at St. Lawrence College and went on to further his education through the Kinesiology program at the University of Guelph-Humber.
Jon’s eagerness to train at the highest level has led him to Stone City Strength & Wellness Ltd. and he is now helping athletes reach their maximum potential on a daily basis.
- Fitness and Health Promotions Diploma
- CFES- Weight Training Instructor
- NCCP- Fundamental Coaching Level 1
Jon will be coaching teams on the following days: Mondays and Saturdays